12th Conference on Research on Economic Theory & Econometrics

Naxos, July 14-18, 2013


Home  

Conference Venue

The conference will take place at the Ursuline School of Naxos which is located in the castle of Naxos town (Chora).

Some historical evidence follow.
The founder of the Ursuline order, Angela Merici, was born on March 21st, 1473 and died at the beginning of 1540.  The small community formed in 1535 was dedicated to the chrisian education of girls and had a large appeal in Italy and France.  The Ursulines found a lot of people willing to provide their help and, by the early 18th century, France counted at least 350 convents with about 9.000 sisters.  
The work of St. Angela spread from France to neighbouring countries, such as Belgium, Germany, Holland, Austria, Polland, Czechoslovakia and other parts of the world.  The arrival of the Ursulines in Greece could be dated back to 1542, when St. Angela visited Crete, which was then under Venetian occupation, on her way to the Holy Land.  While she was there, she became blind but was cured while returning to the island of Crete from her pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Unfortunately, there are no other testimonies regarding her stay in Greece.  The Order of St. Ursula was introduced in Naxos by Jesuit Fathers; in 1693, the Fathers started negotiations with the Ursulines of Paris, requesting that a number of sisters are sent to Greece in order to found new schools for the young women of the cycladic islands. 
In 1670, two women living in the castle of Naxos formed the local Ursuline School, which was soon joined by a large number of girls from Constantinople, the Middle East and the Archipelago (Duchy of Naxos).  Among the lessons taught in the Ursuline School was reading, writing, christian education and sewing.  
Soon enough, the Ursuline School of Naxos became inetrnationally renowned and was deemed as one of the best schools of the free Greek State.  With the arrival of Ursuline nuns from the french convent of Montigny, the school of Naxos became even more prestigious, acquiring international awards and gaining the admiration of the Greek royals, George and Olga, for the paedagogical methods implemented by the nuns. In 1857, the school was turned into a French all-girls boarding school. 
In 1930, new buildings were added to the school, when nine old houses in the castle of Naxos gave their place to a new, three-floor building.  In 1931, the Ministry of Education approves the nuns' application to run the school as a private Greek High-School under the name "Naxos Ursuline Greek-French School."  In 1937, the School was visited by the Greek crown prince, Paul and in 1940 by the Cardinal Angelo Roncalli, later Pope John XXIII.  
During World War II, both the monastery and the School suffered severe damages due to the fact that both buildings were requisitioned by the occupation armies.  With the financial aid granted by France, the School managed to operate again during the school year 1946-1947.  However, the lack of nuns lead to its closing in 1970.  The remaining nuns left for the island of Tinos and Athens to join the schools operating there.  The School building was purchased by the Greek State to be used for cultural purposes.  The Ursulines have kept part of the school compound, which is currently used in summer for seminars, religious contemplation and other events organised for young people.

Father Emmanouil Remoundos

Additional information (in Greek)...

Invited Lectures
Program
Participants
Previous Meetings
Accommodation
Conference Venue
Organizing Committee
Sponsors
About Naxos
Travel Information
Contact us